As a viewer all that we know about a film is what’s been shown on the screen. We put very less effort in researching about our favorite film. We watch the drama unfold, laugh, cry, clap and scoot. But later when we come across a certain fact it is no less than a surprise and a revelation for us. To bring in such surprises in your otherwise mundane life, we give you 20 facts about your favorite Bollywood films.
1. The film Dil Chahta Hai was written for Saif Ali Khan, Hrithik Roshan and Akshay Khanna. Post Hrithik’s denial the role went to Abhishek Bachchan which was rejected by him as well. And finally Aamir came in the picture. Whereas, Isha Koppikar was approached for the role of Pooja which was later played by Sonali Kulkarni.
3. The film Rockstar which made Ranbir Kapoor, a superstar overnight, was in fact short in reverse order so that the continuity of Ranbir’s hairstyle isn’t disturbed.
4. Many may not have noticed but in Don 2, SRK is shown riding a bike on a bridge, the number plate of that bike reads, Don 3, leaving a room for the possibility of a sequel.
7. Priyanka Chopra was the original choice to play opposite Aamir Khan in Ghajini. Filmmakers didn’t want Asin in that role only ‘cause she was a South film actress. However, on Aamir’s insistence Asin was cast for the role. Apparently Aamir was very impressed by Asin’s performance in the original film.
8. It is believed that Preity Zinta was the original choice for the film Ishqiya.
9. Dil To Pagal Hai was originally named as Tevar and Maine To Mohabbat Ki Hai was yet another choice. Urmila Matondkar was the first choice for the character of Nisha which was later played by Karisma Kapoor. Karan Johar had designed SRK’s wardrobe for the film.
10. In the film Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, a telly show, The Neelam Show featured director Farah Khan and Nikhil Advani, don’t believe us? Take a look.
12. In DDLJ, there is a song sequence, Ruk Ja Oh Dil Diwane, towards the end of the song SRK is shown dropping Kajol on the floor. Since Aditya Chopra who wanted to capture genuine expressions, he hadn’t informed Kajol about the subsequent fall.
13. In the film SRK’s character is named as Raj after the legendary showman of Bollywood, Raj Kapoor.
14. Film Hum Aapke Hai Koun…! happens to be the first Indian film to have earned the business of over 1 billion rupees. It is also one of those rare films which late artist M.F.Hussain is said to have watched over 85 times!
15. Mrinal Sen’s film Bhuvan Shome which was released in 1969 has many similarities with Ashutosh Gowariker’s Lagaan. Not only the film location but the names of the leads too are the same-Bhuvan and Gauri. As also Suhasini Mulay who plays Bhuvan’s mother in Lagaan was the lead in Bhuvan Shome and Amitabh Bachchan was a narrator for both the films.
16. While watching Andaz Apna Apna one hardly ever notices that Amar slyly mentions that Prem’s father has written Sholay when Prem speaks of having seen it over 10 times. As a matter of fact, Salim Khan was the co-writer of Sholay and the film quips on it.
17. Kaho Na Pyaar Hai which gave us our Greek God indirectly advertised the brand Coca Cola throughout the film. As also the sequence where the boy meets the girl at a traffic signal is taken from Hrithik’s real life. He is said to have met his ex-wife at a traffic signal.
18. Sachin Pilgaonkar who was seen as Ahmed in Sholay was given a refrigerator as a payment for the role.
19. Raj Kapoor’s magnum opus, Mera Naam Joker was the first Hindi film that had two intervals!
20. Bollywood boasts of having a longest movie in the world which runs for 4 hours and 25 minutes straight! That film is “LOC: Kargil”